Monday, June 20, 2011

a little grocer humor

I was sitting at the counter at the store drinking coffee with my dad and my cousin who were talking about local gossip and the conversation eventually came around to the cost of things.

my dad said, "the price of everything keeps going up. I used to bring home a paycheck of $100 for 2 weeks and that was pretty good money. I raised my kids on that and what little myra brought it."

my cousin said, "well, it's like they say, a winchester rifle used to cost a week's wages, and it still does. it was $69.95 back then and it's $695.00 now. still a week's wages."

I said, "I remember when you could walk into a grocery store with a $5 bill and walk out with a loaf of bread, a gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, 5 lbs of potatoes, a pound of butter, a rasher of bacon, a magazine, a bag of onions, and still have change left in your pocket. you just can't do that anymore." I took another drag off my coffee. "now everybody has security cameras."

No comments:

Post a Comment