Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Justice won

 


Did I crow? Yes, I did. A little. 

Did I rub it in the faces of my online trump-supporting friends? Yes, I did. A little.

I'm not proud of it. But I submit it's the natural reaction after nearly a decade of malfeasance practiced openly but unpunished. Those of us on the right side of history have been fretting that there were two forms of American justice, and trump's crimes put him on one side of a line most of us can't cross. I admit it, I have at times felt defeated by the slow arc of jurisprudence. 

But beginning with his financial loss to E. Jean Carroll we began to see openings in the teflon. It was enough to make us hope we would see the American people would prevail in their multiple cases, and just enough that even though it became customary for leftists to bemoan the state of his attorneys' court appearances--"I fear he's going to get away with this just like he did with [fill in your own example]"--many of us recognized that our doing so was an example of suggesting the worst in order to ward off the evil eye.  

It's not over, of course, and it's not even the best or worst of news. But it's a developing stain he won't be able to separate himself from no matter what else he may do or say. In the Beloved Community we don't celebrate our enemy's defeats but we do celebrate justice's successes. I'm not convinced he'll get prison time or his victims will see the millions to which they're entitled. But I am convinced that in the only court that matters to him, his own mind, he has been struck a blow he will never recover from. And that's enough for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment