Sunday, January 10, 2010

DON'T THINK SHE'S SEEN THE SKY/SINCE WE GOT THE SATELLITE DISH

out here on the rim I listen to a lot of james mcmurtry, and this line out of "levelland" encapsulates much of what I'm worried about by getting more and more involved with the seemingly unending flood of technology I've opened myself up to. I read an interesting reflection that bemoans the author's memory of doing more before she joined up with twitter and blogger and started bookmarking things and that's a concern I share. I've always been about the doing--part of the reason I'm on the rim--and I've already noticed a tendency by me to sit here and read the intertubes. like the author, I've learned a lot more and had my intellectual experience broadened, but I've also been less likely to venture outside when it's cold--at least partly due to my aging but I also don't need to go to the library as often--or dark or too hot, and I haven't felt the itch to jump in the car and go somewhere I haven't been before like I used to. may be age. may be I get too much electronic humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment