Tuesday, April 27, 2010

god on the side of the road


I have an 8:15 class on global liberation theologies on tuesday mornings and I'm generally a few minutes late for it because I have a late night monday class and I like my sleep. but this morning I took off just a little past 7:00, anticipating a relaxed, comfortable drive that would get me to seminary at least 10 minutes early. a nice change.


I didn't anticipate the combination of extra traffic and a mid-bridge accident to hold me up on the way. the traffic across the I-94 hudson bridge was backed up to the next exit and it took me 45 minutes to cross it. a minivan had t-boned a sedan about 3/4 across the bridge, closing down a lane. it looked like no one was hurt, 2 women standing around watching firemen seperating the vehicles. then a mad rush to make up the time before I ran into another backup on 694 north, where traffic had also been reduced to 1 lane for roadwork. I poked along, but by the time it was 9:00 and I still hadn't come to the 1st exit, I caught a handy u-turn and headed home. at the rate it was taking, I would make class when there was less than an hour left to it. life's too short to sit in traffic.


it took me less than a 1/2 hour to recover the distance. I got off 94 at the exit before home in order to drive the back roads and look at the llamas and bison. at the top of the ramp I saw a woman walking in the opposite direction, so I rolled down my window and asked if she was okay. she said, "I got a flat tire." I asked if she wanted a ride to town and after a couple seconds hesitation she said "really?"


she got in and I drove her the 3 or 4 miles to hammond. she chattered nervously for much of it, but once she realized I wasn't about to threaten or hurt her she calmed down, and when I suggested she was lucky she had the day off in order to deal with the flat tire she said, "well, I am now. you're a blessing." I grinned and said "thank you" and dropped her off at the gas station.


I don't subscribe much to the sort of thinking that there are "reasons" we do things differently and end up elsewhere than we intended or that there's fate or kismet. but I can't deny that when we are in the position to do something beneficial for someone after we've haphazardly changed our day it certainly seems that way. still, I don't want to focus on the odd circumstances or whether or not it's coincidence, and I don't think I "saved" her from anything more problemtatic than a long unintended walk in the sun. but I prefer to concentrate on the opportunity I was given to help another person and my acceptance of that opportunity. this taking advantage of the unexpected chance to do good, I think, is what we are here to do. if it's true, as the rabbis have it, that people were created so god could talk to gods-self, then a corollary to that is we are meant to help when god ends up on the side of the road.

1 comment:

  1. i forget to see the unexpected chance to do good. your decision to turn around, take the back roads, gave you the eyes to see god on the side of the road. i'm usually driving too fast to get somewhere, failing to see god trying to hitch a ride.

    ReplyDelete