Thursday, May 10, 2012

sunday music

in preparation for a final essay for one of my classes this semester, I've been doing a lot of thinking about sabbath, mostly reflecting on my experiences on it, but in the past few days I've given some thought to what sort of music one should listen to on sabbath.  I'm not a big gospel or religious music fan, if by religious music we mean stuff that not so subtly sings praise (although put me in a tent revival with swinging and clapping and hipshaking and I'm there).  the music I've been thinking about is more relaxed, downbeat, big on instrumentation and soaring solos.  if I was a musician I'm sure I'd know the right terms. so if I can't explain it in words I'll have to explain by example.  what I mean is this, and this, and this, and this, and this.  I'm aware they're all 80s and early 90s songs, and yours will differ, because I suspect what they reflect is music I heard when I had an image in my mind of gentle, long days with nothing necessary to do except brunch and crossword puzzles and sips of wine, watching the sun flow across the wall.  and I didn't have such days then.  I suspect, like the argument that the music that means the most to us reflects the period of our lives when we made the most emotional advances, the music we want for sabbath listening reflects that period when we most yearned for sabbath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment