Tuesday, December 16, 2014

two reasons i don't weep for this generation

There are actually many reasons, among them increased involvement in protest politics and recognition of the impact climatic change will have on their future, that I have faith in the millennial brood, but these are two that are personal to me.

1) The kids I work with are ages 12-18, with an average of 14 or 15. One evening at the girls' facility one of them made a comment about what she expected her future college career to look like, one-on-one interaction with her instructors, heavy and cultured class-participation, small classes-essentially her experience with groups at the facility. I disabused of that notion. She said, Thanks for shitting on my fantasy, and I flippantly responded, That's why they pay me the big bucks. And the same girl said, No, you get paid to tell us the truth.

2) Last night I was talking with a.couple of the boys about musicians they like and one was running off a list. Ozzy, AC/DC, Guns n Roses, JJ Cale. I did a double take. I said, How do you know JJ Cale? He said, My stepdad plays him all the time. He's really good. I've got a bunch of his music on my IPod. We spent a couple minutes talking about blues artists and their morphing into rock. He told me some Cale tunes I hadn't heard.

1 comment:

  1. Hello bobby sneakers,

    I found your blog through an article you had written for 'The Nervous Breakdown' in 2013. Are you the same R.T. Bledsoe who was featured in 'Best Bisexual Erotica'? If not, please disregard this message.

    But if YES, my name is Kayla Eaton and I am working this summer with Carol Queen and Circlet on a few projects. One of the projects entails publishing “Best Bisexual Erotica” as an ebook.

    For the book to be republished, we need permission from each of the authors. If you would like to give permission (and I hope that you would!), here is a google form that we are sending to all the writers: http://goo.gl/forms/T1SmhCImhc. I would be more than happy to provide assistance if you have any questions, my email is kayla.eaton13@gmail.com. I hope this is the okay way to contact you as it's the only way that I could!

    Best,
    Kayla

    PS Thanks for not weeping for my generation

    ReplyDelete