Wednesday, June 23, 2010

50 year old pasty godzilla wrecks family outing


the one thing austin is known for, if it's known for anything at all, is the tragedy of a dam bursting 99 years ago, killing nearly 1000 and destroying the town. the ruins of the dam are now a park and a cold fish-filled stream winds through it. I spent most of this afternoon there, completely alone and silent except for the cars on the state road a stone's throw away. it was hot and I saw no reason to get my swimsuit wet. I was there to sunbathe too, so skinny-dipping was a way of reliving some past good times, and I slathered myself with spf 30 and lay naked on the grass, reading. finally, about 330, I hopped in for a last dip and when I stepped out of the shallows 5 minutes later I heard voices. I didn't even have my glasses on, so I stepped to my towel and slid it around me while looking for my specs. when I put them on I saw a carload of about 5 older people, including one person I thought was a child but discovered was a small wizened old woman with unnaturally brown hair, had pulled up to the ruins and was videotaping them from about 20 feet away from where a 50 year old, paunchy, very white and very naked man stepped like a pasty godzilla up out of the creek. being a gentleman, I said "howdy." they politely ignored me while I leisurely dressed and picked up my book and towel and walked to the car. it was only when I'd been associated with a vehicle that they took notice of me and the oldest fellow muttered, "'lo." did we learn at some point that it was impolite to speak to the nude, or that people can't see you unless you've got clothes and a car? think of the havoc we could cause by stripping down and acting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment