Monday, June 14, 2010

not drowning but waving


it's important to my dad to live in a place where people wave to him and he waves back. I don't think I'd realized this about him when I was younger, since we often lived in the country and when he went walking the only people who returned his waves were his immediate neighbors. but here in the thick to walk down the street with him or even to stop at the local cemetary to wander among the headstones is to see him constantly throw up one arm as a vehicle passes and to see the same response from the driver and passengers. I've met dozens of new people in passing who treat him as if he was a long-known beloved relative and I'm often regaled with the stories of kids and some adults who referred to my folks as aunt and uncle. I know that's a special comment on them but it's only recently that I've come to see how much it means to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment