for the last few years I've collected books on and about and by the counterculture published between 1967 and 1975. most of them are 1st editions but a lot are not. much of my collection is gathered from library sales and castoffs and occasionally dollar bins at used bookstores. the books themselves will never be worth much--many of them still have library call numbers attached as well as other scratches and dents and stains--but I collect them because I think there ought to be a collection from this period.
here are my 5 most recent acquisitions, all culled free from inver hills library's recent purge:
- dick gregory. editor james mcgraw. the shadow that scares me. doubleday. lib of cong card number 68-10561. 1968. first edition.
- don l. lee. from plan to planet. broadside press. lib of cong card number 72-94350. 1974. second edition.
- albert b. cleage, jr. the black messiah. search books, sheed and ward. lib of cong card number 68-9370. 1969. first paperback edition.
- vine deloria, jr. we talk, you listen: new tribes, new turf. macmillan. lib of cong card number 72-126508. 1970. second edition.
- amiri baraka (leroi jones). raise race rays raze: essays since 1965. random house. ISBN 039446222X. 1971. first edition. (note that this one was obviously shelved in a sunny area: the spine is so faded as to be unreadable.)